Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Christmas, Paper, and Fireworks

First things first - Christmas! Although Brett does not have many things to say about Christmas I have a lot! - but will be brief for blogging purposes. Mom, Dad, and Larisa flew into Libreville the first day of Christmas Break and were able to spend all but a couple days of our 3 week break with us. It was great to take them around our little area in Libreville and then spend time in Bongolo.

Larisa was able to do her Cross Cultural Nursing Practicum at the Bongolo hospital which included many adventures and things she never would have seen at a hospital in the states. Dad was able to get quite a bit of work done on the building project he is managing on the Bongolo Hospital campus and Brett was able to relax, write, and work some with my Dad on the building project. Mom and I were living the Little House on the Prarie life cooking meals, washing dishes by hand, drying the clothes on the line in the attic, and of course a lot of talking. It was great to spend so much time hanging out with family all break and in the evenings at Bongolo! ( 4 months is a long time!) We were also fortunate enough to have a good phone line over break so we could call our family in Michigan and Seattle to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and catch up with them as well! God Bless us Everyone!:) - Tiny Tim
Brett and I also celebrated our Paper Anniversary over break. The big 1 year:)





The truth is we spent part of the day on a mini tour of the hydroelectric plant that supplies electricity to the hospital compound. We could think of nothing more romantic OR everyone was going and it sounded fun! Either way we had a great time in Bongolo!

Fireworks were a big part of our New Years Eve celebration. We flew back to Libreville on New Years Day and spent New Years Eve with friends in town. Since November we have been hearing firecrackers popping all around our apartment, and New Years Eve was no exception. They were going off in the street and then on the tin roof of the house we were in. People were actually throwing them over the wall which of course prompted our host to throw his stash into the street as well. It was a loud night but quite entertaining! The night ended with our own fireworks show of fireworks I don't think are legal to sell in the states.
A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Brett checking out the rainforest. I was not with him on that hike!


We saw Jakes picture on someones desk in the eye clinic on our tour of the hospital!
- Angela

8 comments:

::athada:: said...

1) Watch out for leaches, they can be real beaches.

2) I can't believe anyone saved a picture of Jake. You must have doctored that one.

Anonymous said...

I miss you Angela!!

Love, Tay

junglentink said...

oh how life comes at us! one minute you're dancing at a country club in a beautiful dress and the next you're laura ingalls! we missed you at christmas! before we know it you'll be home though. i bet the next few months will really fly by... love you!

Anonymous said...

Brett-I can only imagine what was swimming around in that water. I'm thinking crocs, water snakes, pirahnas and who knows what else. Leave it to you to wade in it. What was in the net?

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey- I miss you guys.

-Bethany-

Meg said...

hi, can you tell me about how GAbonese people celebrate New Year? Thanks so much!

Meg said...

hi, can you tell me about how GAbonese people celebrate New Year? Thanks so much!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

We haven't had internet in a while in our apartment and man did I have a lot to catch up on! I love the updates and especially the pictures. Sounds like you had a great break. Love ya