Angela and I now live in
We live in a two-bedroom townhouse, which is nice because of the space it affords us. Our second day here, I walked some move-in trash out to the dumpster, and on my way back, a blonde fellow in a sleeveless shirt pulled up on his bike in front of my door.
"So, you're the new neighbor," he said. We talked for a minute, he told me his name was Neil and that he was working on his master's in geology, and then with a wave of his hand toward the row of townhouses behind us, he imparted some information I found interesting.
"Actually, that whole row of townhouses are people getting their master's in geology," he explained. "And about half the next one, too."
I found this somewhat bizarre. Everyone? All geologists? Is there a dramatic need for geologists on the job market today? Should I put an extra lock on my bike tonight? Will I have to phone the police often because of all the loud, geologist parties?
Fortunately though, the only concerns I've had so far in the week and a half I've spent here, is that one of my neighbors in the row behind me, whom I can only assume is getting his masters in geology, is continually practicing with juggling sticks on the lawn, which I honestly don't believe I've seen since approximately 1999. I'm not talking about real juggling either, I'm referring to the activity where the participant holds a baton in each hand, and then tries to keep another baton in the air with it.
The other concern I've been forced to consider today (and this isn't really a concern, as much as a possible future trust issue), is that Neil was selling me baloney that wasn't manufactured on the farm. This morning I saw a short plump boy with a rat tail, who looked nine or ten, emerge from the back of one of said townhouses with an unopened packet of saltine crackers. He kept looking over his shoulder. Unless one of the geologists was using him for some sort of experiment, I don't think that boy has anything to do with
I'll wait before I confront Neil. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. Meanwhile, Angela and I will continue enjoying the benefits of
This is our kitchen.
This picture has no relation to anything I blogged about. But there was a cat that was living illegally in the attic of the Strickland house in Perry MI, and we had no choice to set a trap for it. Here is Angela and my dad posing with the cat, before he was deported to my garage for the night.
6 comments:
sweet kitchen...do you have a stove??? Glad you are in OHIO! Wish we were with you! Come visit before school gets crazy for the both of you! love kara and phil
geologists? haha, Brett, you're hilarious. let me know how that shakes down...your confrontation with aforementioned blonde biker boy. i'm visiting arkansas soon, hopefully.
hmmm...i feel like anything i have to say will not be half so whitty as the geogolist quandery, so i will say that i'm glad you're in ohio and you should come visit us when you get sick of those stuffy geologists...it would almost be like home. we even have the same dining room table and chairs...
I love your posts. Enjoy the geologists - start leaving random piles of rock offerings on their porches.
i'm w/ kim..i like the posts:) does that new/oldnew writing blog exist yet? when do you start classes? tell ang and me next time you're in c-bus! okay that's all..bye!
How did your parents find out a cat was living illegally in the house? Purring?
Post a Comment