Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Morning themed poem by Mary Oliver


Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who made the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety –

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light –
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.


I thought this poem was fitting for my continuing (and, at day 2, still successful) quest to rise at 6:15 each morning. I have to say, while I enjoy this poem, this post is not in any way an endorsement of Mary Oliver. I really enjoy her collection American Primitive, and some of her nature writing, but overall I think she's shallow and a bit of an air-head. A lot of people would disagree with me, but I guess those are the poeple who think writing six-plus poems about a little dog named Percy (and titling each poem "Percy" and numbering it) is an entertaining subject.

In summary: mixed feelings on Mary Oliver, enjoy this poem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never change...

Anonymous said...

I love every song on the CD except for the one by atmosphere, but i still enjoy it, I also think the song by K's choice, breakfast is weird..but i am in love with all the other songs, the killer, lily allen, mates of state, anna nalik, ray lamontagne, and Joe purdy most of all...best mix thus far!