I thought B. Springsteen did a great job at the halftime show, but after I read this article today, I have to admit that the writer made some interesting points. Here's an excerpt:
Nothing will ever compete for sheer tone-deafness with Paul McCartney playing a zealous Super Bowl rendition of "Live and Let Die" at the height of the Iraq war. But Springsteen would have put America on its ass—its mind shortly to follow—had he strolled out with a Martin and played "The Wrestler." (And how about a nice "This one's for Danny," aka Danny Federici, the recently deceased keyboardist who was with Bruce for more than 40 years?) The national mood is sober bordering on a galloping panic. Lively as he was, I wouldn't say the Boss did much to either banish or capture it.
Right?And here's the link to the entire article, He Should Have Played "The Wrestler" if you're curious: http://www.slate.com/id/2210287/
The article is from slate.com, which is a really great online magazine (where else would you find an article about season 3 of Friday Night Lights titled Where in tarnation is Jason Street?) Loads of interesting columns on aspects of pop-culture that aren't always given their due in mainstream media, and what's more, Robert Pinsky is the poetry editor and he usually chooses/writes material that appeals to my tastes (and thus, possibly yours as well!).
Pictures forthcoming. Seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment