Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Photo-Essay / Cat Photo Essay

This post will consist of two separate, equally exciting photo essays.

1. Summer

Summer has been fairly busy here in Oxford. Angela and I spend the week days working and hanging out, and our weekends traveling—two weeks ago it was Michigan, and this past weekend, Bowling Green for Larisa and Cameron’s wedding. (My sister/brother-law.) Here is a photo, with Angela looking beautiful, and myself looking unpleasantly sweaty. A mixture of heat and champagne.


Today, Angela worked the morning shift at Butterfield Farms (A greenhouse/farmer’s market), then spent the afternoon grading the students enrolled in her online class. I revised some poems for send-outs, then drove up to the English office to take care of last minute business for my summer reading list. Afterward, while Angela graded from home, I drove to a friend’s and worked on a screenplay with him.

We’re grateful for Angela’s job, because besides the pay, we get lots of free food. Fruits, vegetables, different varieties of homemade bread, blocks of cheese…she usually comes home with something fun.
All free, except for the jars we bought to make the jam in.

Life in Candle Wood (Candle Hood) Terrace is good, besides children continuing to assault one another in a Lord of the Flies-esque manner. (I’ll post on that later.) A few weeks ago we found this dresser set beside the dumpster outside our front door, which we promptly carried it off.

It’s missing a couple handles, but besides that, it’s beautiful, and in great condition, so we’re going to repaint it and buy new handles. We're both thinking something fun, but I'm leaning towards a color like mint green, and Angela is suggesting a grey and blue, southern style striping. Any suggestions?

We’ve been having friends over for occasional cookouts, and visiting their homes (apartments) as well. Here is a cookout behind our townhouse, and a poker game at a friend's house.
I can't remember, but it looks as though Angela is miming a camera-taking motion in a story she's telling.
I don't know why my hand is in the middle of the table like that.

2. Cats

In the tradition of my past essay on the lifestyles and habits of feral felines in Marion, Indiana, I will post pictures of two interesting cats I have encountered this summer.

This first one is named, I believe, Rocky, and he is enormously fat, with thick, dirty, bear-like fur. He was outside a friend’s house, and turned out to be friendly when I approached him. The pictures really don't do justice.


The second is Willard, my own cat. Below is slightly shocking final photograph of Willard capturing a baby rabbit. He carried it around in his mouth for a while, before carrying it to his den (my parents garage) to eat it, where I took some candid photos. Unfortunately, my sister Taylor took the rabbit away from Willard and freed it across the street, where it hopped away, unharmed except for some chewed fur.

3 comments:

::athada:: said...

summer days... brett we really do need to get together.

Carlton: Dad said...

Loved the post and the market job definitely looks like it has it's perks.. Just cleaned up the remains of one of our state birds. Not as lucky as the bunny Taylor saved...

Bethany said...

hahaha...im sure your hand isnt in the middle of the table because you wont anything...you aint no slim bim the mysterious.

I saw Willard a few days ago, he is shedding some of his winter pounds thank goodness, I could barely pick him up lately.