Funny story. A while back, I posted that my review of Yusef Komunyakaa's Warhorses was accepted at an online magazine. Well, the issue is currently being put together, but my essay was one of the first up, so I was able to view it a couple days ago...but before I get to the interesting part, a bit of backstory.
I was told that since I was submitting a book review, I didn't have to title my essay-- it could just be the title of the book, and underneath "Reviewed by Brett Strickland." Or something along those lines. Since I had no snappy title, that's what I left it as. What I was not told, was that if I didn't pick a title the editor would slap one on for me.
So imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link to my review, and was greeted with an essay titled "Severed Genitals." Whoa. For a few moments, I was in a state of mild shock.
Now, I have to admit (sorry mom) that phrase is in the essay. But as a title, I'm not sure what it's meant to convey...luckily the editor was kind enough to let me change the title to "Love in a Time of War" (the title of section I in the book), which is a bit more fitting for the contents of the review.
I've included a link below for anyone interested in reading it. It's only about 600 words. The goofy picture of me at the bottom was taken by Angela before I left for "my first day of school" last summer.
Komunyakaa Review
I actually sent the review to Yusef Komunyakaa (he won the Pulitzer for poetry in '94, and is currently teaching at NYU), and he responded this morning, saying thanks, and that he was in Poland. Sort of fun. It's nice to be part of a subculture where the celebrities can still be tracked down for correspondance.
cheers.
4 comments:
I read your review, and enjoyed seeing more of YOUR work. I hope he liked it too.
Enjoyed the review. Keep it up
Nice work, Brett! I'm glad the editor let you use your own title, ha.
thats awesome Brett..thats so cool he wrote back!
Post a Comment