
This Spring I watched, No Impact Man, twice. The first time I was just checking out the movie Brett put on the instant que and then a second time because I wanted Brett to see the husband and wife interaction through the whole project. It did get me interested in a compost pile once we have some yard beyond a patio. I have a feeling a pile of our scraps and worms would gross the neighbors out! I did think that it looked fun to make your own household cleaners. I honestly have no idea what borax is but may be looking more into it once my Costco bins of bleach wipes are gone. Actually now that I am writing this out maybe I should make some while I still have my Costco bleach wipes in case I botch the whole thing!

Then in April my first grade class began a unit titled: We Care. The class learned all about recycling, reusing, and reducing. They brought in items from home they could reuse and we looked at a massive picture book filled with pictures of a landfill, pollution, and how items like cans are recycled. The students brought in a graph of items they recycled or could recycle at home.
I feel like I'm a person who recycles because we used to recycle at home growing up. However, I am four years out of college and we have not been recycling, at all. I felt like a bit of a fraud turning the pages of the gigantic picture book of landfills. (Really I need no reminder, I drive past Rumpe dump everyday.) So I looked into some options. I discovered that right behind the campus police station are bins where we can put our plastic, cardboard, cans, and glass for recycling. Three trips and counting! It's a start.
2 comments:
I want to keep that movie at a distance. People who are already OCD and heavy-laden with enviro-guilt need no more incentive.
I had worms in Marion in an old aquarium that worked great - they multiply like mad! Tried to mail some to a friend in Chicago but they croaked in transit.
good for you:)
Post a Comment