Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Don't Drink and Skype

Finally. It's 1:10 on a Monday afternoon, and in approximately an hour and a half, my family is driving me to Detroit Metro, where we will meet up with Angela's family, and off we go. I've never flown internationally, so I'm excited about that experience, and then it's the start of a whole new year overseas.
I brought eight dollars worth of Life-savers and various candies at the Pump N' Shop, and I have bought several books over the past week that I'm excited to get into. Among them are: The Woman Lit By Fireflys (Jim Harrison), The Shadow of the Sun (Ryszard Kapuscinski), Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy), The Complete Poems of Hart Crane, and Brighton Rock (Graham Greene). I haven't read any of them, and I've never read anything by Thomas Hardy. So.
Well the main reason I wanted to jump on the old blogger was to put a plug in for Skype, for anyone who is interested. It really is an amazing program, and I'm sure some of you are familiar with it already. It's a video telephone that works through the internet, and it's completely free. No joke.
Simply go to www.skype.com, and download the program. From there it works a lot like instant messenger, you add contacts, or you can search for them by their e-mail address, and you can see when your contacts are online, and so on and so forth.
Now if you want to do the live video while you talk, obviously you will need a web-cam. I recommend going to Best Buy, they had lots of options when I went, and I bought one for my parents that works wonderfully, and was only 29.99. You can just talk to someone if you have a microphone, and don't want to do the video-feed. I actually recommend not using the video-feed if you think you might be tempted to drink, and then decide to start drunk-skyping people. I imagine that the akward silences that come about from that sort of thing would be magnified by about ten.
I can't stress enough that this is a free service that allows you to make international calls, with live video feed. Very cool. If you do decide to get it, feel free to add Angela and I as a contact, I believe our user name is simply "Brett and Angela Strickland." I'm not sure how often we'll be on, and keep in mind that Libreville is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time...but that being said, hope to see you on at some point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey,
so cool. you guys are only 2 hours different than us here in greece. we are 7 hours ahead eastern standard time. we will be skyping you for sure. i will be anxious to compare notes with your international experience:) we will be praying for your trip.
καλό ταχίδι!! (greek for have a good trip)