This past Friday, Angela and traveled forty minutes south to see the identical twin-sister duo, Tegan and Sara. They play a sort of synthetic pop, are from Canada, and are lesbians. Being a lesbian is fairly unremarkable, however what is worth noting is that the composition of the crowd was such that we non-lesbians were a distinct minority. It was a cultural event, and the show was pretty good, T & S's voices live sounded much the same as they do recorded, which is not the case with many bands.
One aspect of concerts I’m always intrigued by is the “between-song-chatter.” It’s an aspect of the artist that one is not able to experience simply by listening to their CD. Usually there’s some crowd-banter involved, a funny story or two, or an explanation of a song. I’m a fan of all of these, although the first can quickly become boring.
Crowd-banter starts to sound like this:
Female Artist: What? I can’t hear what you’re saying, everyone, shut the hell up, I can’t hear what this dude’s saying. (Crowd quiets)
Fan: (Indistinct yelling from the front of the crowd, some laugh.)
Female Artist: Oh, you love me! Hey, I love you too!
Fan: (Faint voice, impossible to make out)
Female Artist: This guy wants to marry me! Oh, I would, but my boyfriend might have a problem with that, haha.
No one ever knows what the fan is yelling. Tegan and Sara’s banter was semi-interesting, but I have important news for anyone who is a fan of this duo (Let me quickly specify that while I enjoy them, I would not consider myself a "fan.")—Tegan is the uncool one. You might want to disagree with me, and that’s fine if you do, but by that you are also saying that long, drawn out stories about a cat sneezing while someone is trying to break up with their girlfriend are cool as well. You would also be saying unsightly neo-mullets are cool.
We had fun. Afterwards, we made the long drive up to Michigan for Mother’s Day Weekend, then down to Toledo Saturday night, and finally, home to Oxford.
9 comments:
it was so good to see you guys this weekend! i'm sure we'll see you around soon :) tegan and sara...now i'm going to have to go look that up and decide for myself who the cool one is.
it was so good to see you guys this weekend! i'm sure we'll see you around soon :) tegan and sara...now i'm going to have to go look that up and decide for myself who the cool one is.
I like Tegan and Sara but haven't ever seen them in person, and your details cracked me up. :)
i've tried calling a couple times. either i missed you or i have a wrong number. help me out?
maybe you're being edged out Marc??
~Bethany~
bethany, bethany...get a little college degree and you think you're so funny. get a life.
:) and I'm a blogger now.
prove it "blogger" bethany
an update anytime would be nice....
Post a Comment