Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Holidays and Film

If anyone has any extra time over the Holidays, there are a slew of potentially solid movies that will be finding wide (a couple of these have already been released in LA/NY) release in the next couple of weeks. Here is a short list of what I will be seeking out in the theater before January 12. (The day second semester begins.)

1. Gran Torino Some are trying to intellectualize this film-- themes of aging and racism, Clint Eastwood's final acting role, a tribute to what he's done before as The Man with No Name and Dirty Harry--but I'm going to call a spade a spade. Clint Eastwood will be old, he will be beating an awful lot of ass, and I'm going to enjoy it. A lot.

2. Slumdog Millionaire Danny Boyle directing, it's already won numerous prizes-- and I usually end up being a fan of any movie that "celebrates life." Blame it on my sentimental side. And, I'm always a fan of unusual plotlines-- a poor young Indian man, on the Indian version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" is intriguing. I've heard the movie grows pretty dark at times (I think I read something about torture...), but I lalso like dark.

3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Brad Pitt. Thank you for Legends of the Fall. Keep your new mustache.

4. Marley and Me A role that will be great for Owen Wilson, and is not written by Wes Anderson. Those, I think, are few between. Angela and I both read the book, and we both really enjoyed it. Heart-warming, and based on a true story.

5. The Wrestler I, personally, am very excited about this. I think Mickey Rourke's sort of hit-or-miss, but the combination of him with Marisa Tomei (I think she's great) and director Darren Aronofsky will be exciting (as will Aronofsky's departure from movies with awsome yet strangely unsettling soundtracks). Also, this movie has that "celebration of life" potential. And the underdog-redemption-factor. Maybe I'm being misguided by reviews and trailers, but this could be one of the most solid films being released.

6. Frost/Nixon I don't think this will change anybody's life, but the dialogue should be snappy, and by all acounts, the acting is top-notch (Both Sheen and Langela were recruited from the Broadway play). Is Kevin Bacon playing a sleaze-ball in this? I can't tell.

7. Doubt Angela saw the trailer for this and said, "Ew, we're not seeing that," but I disagree. Again, the snappy dialogue, and as for the acting, well...the older generation may be quick to name Meryl Streep, but she's had her low moments. Now Philip Seymour Hoffman...I can't think of a single role-gone-wrong. Seriously. (And I've heard Viola Davis as the boy-in-question's mother is unbelievable.)

Up in the air...

6. Seven Pounds Really, this could go either way. I unashamedly enjoy Will Smith, although I don't think he's the most subtle of actors. But what, exactly, is the movie about? He changes seven stranger's lives? Boooorrrriiinnnnng. Hopefully there's more to it than that.

7. Revolutionary Road Leonardo DiCaprio is great, but how much can you do with "A young couple raising a family in a Connecticut suburb during the mid-1950s look to break free from their frustratingly mediocre lives." This has been done--many times-- before. Also, this isn't going to resound with people as much as it might have when the film was in production. Maybe if the family was from the 30's, and going through the great depression...

Thoughts? I'd be curious if anyone has already seen any of these. Cheers.

2 comments:

Marc Buwalda said...

Good post brettski

Let's see, where to begin?

Chelsea and I are on some kind of a movie blitz lately. We saw Marley and Me yesterday, Benjamin Button today, and were considering Slumdog tomorrow.

We both have also read Marley and enjoyed it through tears. I felt that the movie stayed incredibly close to the book, doing justice the wildness of the dog, the uncertainties of newly married life, and the heart tearing reality of losing a canine friend (pretty much what the book was about, at least to me). We enjoyed both Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston, but she especially was "too pretty" to totally believe. in all i found the movie to do a stupendous job at accomplishing it's goal, not to win an oscar, but to provide a few hours of family viewing based on a best selling memior. i gave it a 7.5, chelsea a 7.

having only seen benjamin button a few hours ago, i might need a bit longer to process it. some quick thoughts though; 1. pitt and blanchett are gorgeous people. 2. what a beautiful way to tell a love story. how often is a love story portrayed in a way that truely feels original? this film does that. 3. Also, i loved some very specific scenes...SPOILER...



The scene re-telling how Daisy broke her leg. Also the scenes showing ben and daisy selling his father's house and moving into their own. thought it was a great picture of newly married life and that excitement that that brings.

Really, just loved the movie. Looking forward to seeing how many nominations it picks up. I give it a 8.5, chelsea a 9.

i'm really looking forward to seeing gran torino, slumdog, doubt, and the wrestler. we'll both defintely see revolutionary road as well. yeah, it might be an old story like you say, but the acting should be out of this world, much like i'm hoping for doubt.

see u soon

Brett and Angela said...

Marc--

Thanks for the info. I knocked down Slumdog Millionaire first, and loved it. The story and setting were unique, not many movies can blend humor and tragedy so well. One thing I will say, for people who have read about the darker aspects of the film-- in my opinion, it rarely gets as gruesome as it sets itself up to be. Plenty of tension though.

Ang. and I are going to see Marley and Me tomorrow (Sun.), and are pretty excited. I'm already inclined to agree w/ you about Jennifer Aniston...she's not what springs to mind when I picture Jenny, but Owen Wilson strikes me as a great fit for the Josh Grogan character.

Maybe I was too harsh on Rev. Road. We'll see. I forgot to mention it was directed by Sam Mendes, who should always get the benefit of the doubt after American Beauty...

brett