Friday, June 5, 2009

Whoops, & Poem

Okay:

First of all, I accidentally deleted my blog roll last night, so it might take me some time to replace that, since I have no idea what most people's blog address is. I may email you for it, but again--all deletions were unintentional. Your writings are valued.

Second, I now have two blogs written, but have been too lazy to upload pictures onto my computer. So I'll get something up tonight. (I may archive the two already written and write something new today about Angela and I's experience in Cincinnati this morning.)

I feel so guilty that I'm going to do something I normally don't, and post a poem I wrote in the last couple of weeks. It's lighter than most of my more recent work, and has not been revised yet.


Summer in a College Town

The first warm day since October & the first
girls are displayed on lawns by ten, able to rise

early only for this, skin offered
to a fickle star, faces & stomachs

pale as birch bark before peeling, others
strangely dark, evidence of settling

for a false messiah. Eyes shuttered
behind dark glasses as others gaze

into the blinding white of open books
pretending at study, & all

lounge like cats under glass or
serphents along black asphalt—

& the young men who gather

on porches, or pause
their already slow walks

down sidewalks to stare, hungry
as animals wakening from hibernation—

daughters & sons spring
from these passing bodies.



That's the end of the poem. Summertime and Sexuality! Revisions will probably be based around trying to bring out more of a spacey theme (as in, outer space), and last night I thought about changing the title to "Heavenly Bodies," which is potentially the worst title in the history of poetry. (Although Mary Oliver has a million poems titled "Percy", "Percy #6", etc...Percy is the name of her dog.)

Oh more piece of news: Away We Go was released in select cities today, you should go see it if it's playing near you.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I like it! the poem is so right...althought i dont know if its college students, Liz and Kaufman and I displayed our pale bodies at the pool today :) Keep up the good work!